What is ICON resin infiltration?
Resin infiltration is a minimally invasive restorative treatment for post-ortho white-spot lesions (WSLs) and certain congenital hypocalcified enamel lesions (“hypo” spots). WSLs are associated with subsurface enamel porosities caused by a cyclical imbalance between demineralization and remineralization of the enamel, resulting from poor hygiene and associated plaque, bacteria and acids. With time, remineralization at the outer surface of the tooth decreases the access of calcium and other ions to deeper portions of the enamel, eventually arresting the lesion. The lesions look white because there is a scattering of light at the subsurface of the demineralized enamel. Hypo spots, or enamel bruising, are congenital enamel defects often caused by trauma or infection involving the primary teeth.
Your child may benefit from
ICON resin infiltration if you’ve researched:
Is ICON treatment long lasting?
Unlike whitening products, ICON resin infiltration is a long term treatment solution. Research shows stability for at least 2 years. Our Poway dental office has many patients with stable results for 6+ years. This is a treatment that will help fade the appearance of WSLs and hypo spots. We cannot guarantee the spot will disappear completely, but in most cases it provides a significant cosmetic improvement in one simple, painless visit.
How does Resin Infiltration work? The procedure is simple.
- One visit to our Poway dental office
- No “shots” or numbing
- No drilling
- Plain pumice is used to clean the teeth
- Lesions etched 3×2 minutes – this removes the outer remineralized layer of enamel that had previously been blocking calcium and other ions from entering the tooth
- Finishing bur on any surfaces that do not indicate an improved appearance
- Application of drying agent (ethanol)
- Application of the resin infiltrant
- Material soaks in for 3 minutes (allowing for capillary action)
- Remove excess material with cotton rolls, micro-brushes & floss
- Light cure the material
- Material added again for 1 minute, excess removed, and cured
- Finish with polishing discs or burs
- Temporary blanching of gums can occur in lesions close to the gumline
* Total process takes approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour *
ICON Resin Infiltration in Poway
Is a solution for problems like fluorosis, yellow and white spots because…
- The treatment is much less invasive and less expensive than the alternatives of fillings or veneers.
- It can be done sooner than other cosmetic options like veneers that you have to wait until growth is complete.
- The result is more natural than whitening or filling.
"Dr. Im and her staff are excellent. They are all so friendly and really know how to make my children and me comfortable throughout the entire visit!"
"The office staff is super nice and willing to work with you on appt scheduling, payments, anything! I had a ton of questions and they were all answered promptly and politely."
"They take extra care with the kids and are very patient with them. Not a tear shed during the experience. I highly recommend them!"
"My daughter was anxious about going to the dentist for the first time, but Dr. Im made her feel very comfortable by making her smile and laugh."
"Still absolutely love this dentist. Each chair has a TV screen or an iPad with Netflix and my daughter never wants to leave! We were expected to have a 4-6 month orthodontia treatment and 5 months later she's done!"
"Dr. Im and her staff are awesome. My children feel very comfortable here. My daughters always look forward to retrieving their prize at the end of their check up. I wouldn't take my kids anywhere else."
"Dr. Ellen is excellent! Definitely, hands down the best pediatric office! My Son had to get some treatment done and without a doubt Dr. Ellen was extremely caring and fun!"
"Dr. Ellen Im is a dentist that is extremely careful and caring to her patients. I highly suggest you go here because it is a great dentistry and the prices are pretty cheap considering this dentistry is amazing."
"Dr. Ellen Im is the most caring dentist I have ever met. My daughter loves coming to see her and we would never think to go anywhere else. She is amazing with the kids and takes her time. Her staff is wonderful and friendly."
"Dr. Ellen is amazing! My boys all loved her and felt comfortable around her. Which is a very big deal. I recommend anybody who wants to take their children to a dentist who will actually care about your child, to see them."